Everyone experiences loss and grief in life. We believe that, in these moments, everyone deserves support and understanding. Many find comfort and relief having a dedicated time for reflection, exploring Jewish perspectives on mourning, and talking with others who “get it.”
For Those Who Are Mourning
Our Bereavement Spiritual Support Groups take place in San Francisco, the Peninsula, or the North Bay. Call us for information or to register for one of our upcoming groups.
- The next Bereavement Spiritual Support Group will take place in San Rafael beginning Tuesday, October 29, 2019, from 6:30-8:30pm. Here is a flyer and registration form.For information on groups in other areas and at subsequent times, please visit this page for updates or download the general Bereavement Group flyer and registration form.
Grief is not a pathology. It is a normal response to loss. Typical grief responses include loss of focus; sleep challenges; and a range of physical, emotional and spiritual reactions. Grief naturally stimulates spiritual reflections, including about the afterlife, on-going relationship to the person who died, considerations of a broader world view and changing identity, loss of concrete faith, questioning God, or shifting assumptions about the nature of life.
What happens in groups?
- Mourners connect with one another and share personal stories
- Readings on grief and healing are shared and reflected on
- Discussions are led around common themes and different grief experiences
- Rituals and resources for coping and spiritual and emotional support are explored
- Sessions are facilitated by a Bay Area Jewish Healing Center Rabbi
What kinds of groups do you offer?
- Groups are ‘mixed loss’—often groups include a variety of relationships (death of a parent, spouse/partner, child) and causes of death
- Typical size is 6-8 participants
- Most of our groups meet weekly for about two months in a row.
- Individuals sign up for the series, and the same participants are with each other week-to-week for the duration
- Most participants have been in mourning for a number of months, or up to years
- Content is informed by psychological and Jewish perspectives on mourning
- No one is excluded based on religious affiliation (or non-affiliation), economic status, race, or gender identity
- Groups are held in San Francisco, the Peninsula, and the North Bay (Marin/Sonoma)
How do I sign up?
- Download the Bereavement Group flyer and registration form, or call or email us at (415)750-3436 or Program@bajhc.org
- There is an intake process before each group, so please contact us as soon as possible prior to the start date
- Advance registration is required; participants are asked that they miss no more than one session during the series
- Drop-ins are not permitted.
- If a group is filled prior to the start date, we do offer a wait list